Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Acrylic Landscape Painting



 Acrylic Landscape Painting
    



      When I started planning my acrylic painting I already had something in mind. I wanted to have a mountain in the backdrop of my composition. So, I looked through a couple magazines and tried to find something that I liked. I came across mountains, but they were in a desert. I thought they would look good, and wanted to have an orange sky in the background. I kept looking and I found a sky that fit, an object to go in the front, and a cracked ground to go in the middle. I needed atmospheric perspective in my painting to make it look good. Atmospheric perspective is how objects start to blend in with the background and have less detail the farther they're away. I did this by making my mountains blend into the background, and they had much less detail than the rocks up close. I also used a lot of shadows in my mountains, which came from the light source. The light source was coming from the sun, which was in the middle of the painting. It cast shadows that added depth to the mountains.


     I wanted my color scheme to have warm colors in it, because it was in a desert setting. So, I used the colors red, red-orange, orange, and yellow-orange. These allowed me to create a dry and hot look. In my sky I used horizontal brush strokes because it was supposed to be clear and sunny. In my mountains I also used horizontal brush strokes because in some places the rocks formed cylindrical pillars. When I got to my ground though, I used vertical brush strokes to make it look like it was stretched out. I added value to my painting by using more or less of a color in certain areas.For example, I wanted the area around the sun to be really bright, so I made the area closest to the sun yellow. As it got farther away, the sky turned orange. I also added value by making shadows in my painting, which is just a darker version of the color the shadow is casted on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment