Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ceramics Project

Ceramics Project

    The medium used in my ceramics project was clay. This is a good material to work with because you can shape it easily. When I finished the project was 10" by 7.5", although it was bigger before it was put into the furnace. This is because when the moisture is taken out of the clay it shrinks. The design element that I stressed during this project was form. This is because I wanted my project to have a unique shape. To get the design onto my piece, I used the transfer technique. This means that I originally drew it on paper, but then moved it onto the clay by poking holes through the paper. This left small holes that outlined my design on the clay. My project serves the function of being a shallow bowl. It could be used to hold anything from pencils and pens to small notebooks. When I was coming up for the design for my project, I wanted something that would stand out. I decided to do this design because it reminded me of a mid-evil shield, and I like the topic of mid-evil times in history, so it interested me. I learned a lot of things from this project. For example, I learned that medium means what your project is made up of, and I also learned how artists get their designs onto their ceramics. If I could repeat this project, I would either put a lot more red clay on the design or non at all. This is because I didn't apply the red clay thick enough, and it was not a solid color all the way through. I could have fixed this by putting on a heavier coat of red clay or just by not putting on the red clay. I think either of those options would have looked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment